As a Content Design leader at Microsoft, Sheila O’Hara has experienced the transformation of the content design discipline from a side-of-desk job for Help writers in the early 2000s to a full-blown design discipline that is named and recognized as a critical investment for best-in-class customer experiences. Over the past decade, Sheila has built several high-performing content design teams that lead with content design to drive customer success, satisfaction, and loyalty. Her work as a content designer has spanned consumer and commercial products, including productivity software, small business tools, security and compliance, and financial apps. The common threads winding through her approach to content design are the importance of story to understand and empathize and language to support comprehension, build confidence, and inspire trust.
Content Design from a Design Thinking Lens
You probably know about the design thinking process and the theory behind it. Come learn how content designers lead and contribute to product design through the lens of the design thinking process. I’ll share how content designers can use conversation and narrative to build empathy and define the problem, how to build content strategy frameworks that create the foundation for ideation and prototyping, and ways to benchmark and test content designs to understand impact.
In this session you will learn:
- Content design tools and methods for building empathy, envisioning customer experience, and leading design sprints
- Tips for building a strawman content strategy framework to use for ideation, prototyping, and user testing
- How to use content explorations to help product and engineering teams see beyond the “”golden path””
- Ways to measure and benchmark product content quality, including low-fi methods to automated tools
- How to combine UX metrics + content metrics to understand the impact of content design work”