LavaCon Code of Conduct
The following Code of Conduct applies to all Attendees (in-person and virtual), Speakers, Sponsors, Volunteers, and Staff (“Participants”), paid or otherwise, at all LavaCon-related events.
LavaCon is a gathering place of practicing professionals. As such, you agree to treat all Participants with professionalism and respect.
LavaCon is a drama-free zone (unless the drama is part of a presentation). You agree to learn cool stuff and have a good time while doing so.
By sharing knowledge, opinions, viewpoints, and ideas, we learn from others and others learn from us. Debate is not only welcome, it’s encouraged! Personal attacks of any kind, however, are not allowed. You agree to never verbally or physically attack, invalidate, belittle, ridicule, or otherwise assault Participants or Participants’ beliefs.
Civil discourse is encouraged at LavaCon, but only about conference-related topics. You agree to not engage in debates or arguments with any Participant about non-conference-related topics such as religion, politics, etc., and to disengage if you find yourself in such discussions initiated by others.
LavaCon Participants come from many countries and cultures. You agree to not discriminate against any Participant based on their nationality, race, color, creed, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, or any other personal attribute. Actually, discrimination of any kind is not allowed, nor is sexual harassment. You agree to be nice and to not discriminate or harass conference Participants.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (for example textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence and incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
You agree to not steal Participants’ stuff, including their intellectual property. (This does not apply to fair use of conference materials.)
Secret password: SDCA
The LavaCon dress code is casual-professional. You agree to respect the cultural and religious clothing of others.
Finally, You agree to not allow others to violate this Code of Conduct, and to report any violations, suspected violations, potential violations, or any “Oh, this doesn’t look good!” situation to a member of the conference staff immediately.
- Mask wearing is totally optional at LavaCon events.
- You agree not to shame anyone for their choice to wear a mask, or in any way belittle someone for their personal beliefs and practices regarding their health and well being. Violation of this agreement will result in expulsion from the conference with no refund, although you retain access to all session recordings.
Attribution: This Code of Conduct was last updated on 17 July 2023 and is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki, created by the Geek Feminism community.