Karen Brothers has spent more than 10 years in various technical communication roles within the software, consulting, healthcare, and manufacturing industries. She has managed content projects from design through delivery, identifying objectives and key metrics, developing content plans, and selecting tools and media for publication and distribution. As a technical writer at 3M, she manages the publication of user instructions within the company’s Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus & Fire Solutions business group, and she is leading the group’s transition to DITA.
A Match Made in DITA
Co-presented with Gretyl Kinsey.
3M supports tens of thousands of products and systems, so technical content needs to be consistent, cohesive, and accurate. This case study shows how 3M is moving to structured content using DITA XML with Structured FrameMaker and Adobe Experience Manager XML documentation. During a pilot phase, one division at 3M partnered with Scriptorium to create automated outputs and document standards. Through this partnership, 3M can re-leverage lessons learned during the pilot for a successful implementation across the company. During this session, you’ll learn:
- Practical advice for starting a pilot project to demonstrate the need for widespread digital transformation
- What questions to ask before a pilot project begins
- Ways to deal with unexpected challenges that arise and show that you can be flexible while still focusing on your goals
- How to learn from a pilot project’s successes and mistakes before taking it to a larger scale
- How to communicate the value proven by a successful pilot project to those with the power to fund an expansion